9/24/09

Pie-man and Barf-uncle



I spent a lot of time biking around GR yesterday. I got to appreciate many of the art installations around town, as ArtPrize is now in full effect.


View of The B.O.B. from the roof of an okay-smelling parking garage


Sculptures made of recycled rubber tire scrap
s, by Chakaia Booker (with "La Grande Vitesse" by Alexander Calder in the background)


"Drawing of the Sun" by Brian Goblik AKA "Dr. Wood"


"The Image Mill: Sustainable Cinema #1" by Scott Hessels


"The Furniture City Sets the Table for the World of Art" by Stephen Frye and Sarah Grant (here's a video showing the installation)

I went to Schulers Bookstore on Fountain and took pictures of books that I want to read, which is what I do without any amount of expendable income. Let me know if you've heard things about these, or check them out.



I biked to the west side of town. I found a hole-in-the-wall deli called 20th Century Market. I locked up my bike and entered Louie's tavern, not realizing the two were different businesses. Not being able to remember the word "deli", I asked the bartender if I could "buy meat" there. The man quipped "that's next door, this is a gay bar."


After I was done laughing and feeling weird, I left and entered the actual deli. The aesthetics of the door made me feel as though I may as well have been entering a musky cellar or sticky pawn shop. I talked to the woman working, Deb. Her great-grandfather opened the market in 1906 and it's been family owned since, now operated by Deb and her father.

I asked what they had to offer, she told me that their ground beef is 85% lean while most competitors only offer 80% lean meat. I bought 1.5 lbs of hamburger meat from Deb yesterday.
Yesterday was a good day. Now onto the weekend!
Have a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WELL, FOR YOUR INFORMATION

My photo
I am an illustrator hailing from Cincinnati and Tampa. I currently reside in Grand Rapids, MI.


website: www.jacksjogren.com
email: jacksjogren@mac.com

ANNALS OF HISTORY